Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Writing Anew; Munster Cocktail recipe

A blog spot (windycitycocktails.blogspot.com) devoted to my cocktails and food. It's been a while since I've routinely written my newsletter about cocktails and libations; I've had my head down working on cocktails and spirits that excite me. A few of you got some newsletter-ish 'updates' about what I've been doing here and there with my spirited dinners (Tuesdays @ 6:30 p.m.; aperitif and three paired courses for $65. Contact me if interested) and other fun drinks. However, after talking with family members, friends, and industry peers (local and beyond) about how many of them actually read my musings on what I quit my day job for, I thought it necessary to begin my writing anew. Also, a recent Gourmet post (see below) has more people interested in your favorite half-Thai bartender's drinks.

Besides, I'm running out of room in the journals Jamie, my wife, makes for me.

So, for those who've known my work in the past, and those whose email addresses I've collected over time, here's an quick update:


Of course, I can't leave you without a recipe. This one's from some experimenting my wife and I did with cocktails and cheese.

We bought some nice Alsatian Munster cheese and a bottle of gewurztraminer to drink with it. Unfortunately, the gewurz was flabby. So, rather than drink the wine begrudgingly, I decided to combine it with some kummel (german caraway liqueur) and white wine vinegar. The vinegar gives the drink a non-citrus acidity while the kummel brings alcohol and sweetness.

It's an incredible pairing! The fruit from the wine and the kummel's caraway spice combines with the barnyard aromatics in the cheese in a great way so that you're left with this note in your mouth that makes you want to do it all over again (i.e., the vicious cycle).

Munster Cocktail

1 1/2 oz. gewurztraminer

1 1/2 oz. kummel

1 t white wine vinegar

Shake ingredients and strain into chilled cocktail glass. No garnish.

Here's to sharing thoughts about cocktails. Hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: